History of the Swanbourne Veterinary Centre
The Swanbourne Veterinary Centre has been around since 1939 and has a rather interesting history.
The first recorded owner of the land on which the Swanbourne Veterinary Centre is situated was a retired soldier named Francis Taafe, who was granted 10 acres for his service in 1885. The land passed to George Dent, who subdivided the land when Devon Road was put through the area around 1901. At that time Devon Road was just a sandy track, and didnt become paved until 1950. Dent sold the lots, including those that were to become 2 and 4 Devon Road, to Alexander Wright, the son of one of Australia's first dentists and who followed in his father's footsteps. Wright sold three blocks to the Honourable Robert McKenzie in 1906.
McKenzie, a state politician and former Mayor of Kalgoorlie, built the townhouse which still stands today as part of the current Swanbourne Veterinary Centre. He also built a garage and large stables with an apartment for a gardener. In 1930 no.2 Devon Road was sold to the banker Arthur Sherwood, and subsequently sold to Thomas Hogarth in 1939. This was the beginning of the building's roots as a veterinary centre.
Swanbourne Veterinary Centre, circa 1939
In 1939 there were few qualified vets in the state, and Hogarth treated all animals, large and small. As more qualified vets came into the state, Hogarth began to specialise in pets. In 1945 Hogarth bought number 4 Devon Road and extended his practice. Hogarth retired in 1962 and sold the business to Ian Miller who continued the vet practice on the premises.
In 1969 Tony Paterson (later reverting to his birth name of Tony Vigano) joined the practice as a Melbourne graduate. In 1976 Tony became a partner in the business and became the sole owner on the death of Ian Miller in 1988. Tony is still managing and practicing at the Swanbourne Veterinary Centre today.